Vulvar cancer is an uncommon type of cancer strain that occurs only in women. There are a few forms of vulvar cancer, many of which exhibit symptoms in the early stages.
Where is Vulvar Cancer located?
The vulva is the opening of the vagina and is composed of four primary parts:
- Vaginal opening
- Labia major (outer lips)
- Labia minor (inner lips)
Vulvar cancer cells typically impact the labia minor but will begin in the tissue of the clitoris on rare occasions.
How Does it Impact your Body?
The abnormal cells associated with vulvar cancer will negatively impact the vagina and since cancer spreads, the cells will naturally move upwards towards other regions In later stages, it can spread into the body’s tissue and harm both nearby and distant organs. For example, this occurrence could lend itself to damaged lymph or cervical cancer.
Are There Different Types of Vulvar Cancer?
Vulvar cancer is an uncommon type of cancer amongst others, but there are four primary strains.
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma – The vast majority of vulvar cancers begins in the squamous skin cells. There are several squamous cell subtypes, all requiring therapy, including:
- Verrucous carcinoma
- Adenocarcinoma – Approximately 8% of all vulvar cancers begin in the cells of the Bartholin glands. It often looks identical to a cyst.
- Melanoma – Approximately 6% of all vulvar cancers will start in these pigment-producing cells.
- Sarcoma – Less than 2% of all vulvar cancers begin here.
Vaginal Cancer Statistics
Per the American Cancer Society, vulvar cancer is only responsible for .7% of all cancers that women develop. A woman in the U.S. has a 1/333 chance of developing it, which accounts for 6,000 cases per year.
Causes and Risk Factors
The cause for vulvar cancer is not known. However, based on clinical trials, we do know certain factors can increase the risk of it developing. They include:
- Age – Most common in women over the age of 70.
- HPV – Human papillomavirus has been shown to have links to vulvar cancer.
- Smoking – Increases risk of developing any cancer, including vulvar.
- HIV – The damage to the immune system increases the likelihood of abnormal cells settling into normal tissue.
Early Detection, Diagnosis, and Staging
Signs and Symptoms of Vaginal Cancer
Unlike many other types of cancer, vulvar cancer will often manifest in noticeable symptoms from the outset. These include:
- Abnormal bleeding
- Abnormal discharge
- Bump or lump on the vulva that looks like a wart
- Different hued part of the vulva
- Open sore
- Thickening of the vulvar skin
The Different Stages of Vaginal Cancer
Practically every cancer is graded on a scale of 0 to 4. The stages for vulvar cancer are:
- Stage 0 – Carcinoma in situ, a small potentially malignant or benign tumor forms. A biopsy will be able to distinguish whether the lump contains cancer cells.
- Stage I – A tumor that is less than 2cm is in the vulva or perineum. It hasn’t spread to lymph nodes or distant regions outside of the vaginal region.
- Stage II – A tumor of any size that grows into the anus or lower third of the urethra. It has yet to spread to the lymph nodes or normal tissue within other parts of the body.
- Stage III – A tumor is in the vulva or perineum (or both). It may grow into the anus, lower vagina, or lower urethra. It has spread to one or two local lymph nodes, but hasn’t reached other parts of the body.
- Stage IV – A tumor is in the vulva or perineum (or both). It may grow into the anus, lower vagina, or lower urethra. It has spread to local lymph nodes and created an ulcer. It may have spread to distant regions as well.
Alternative / Natural Vulvar Cancer Treatment
In the past, cancer was ineffectively treated using drugs and forms of surgical procedure that destroy the immune system. To this day, radiation therapy and chemotherapy serve as the standard treatment methods for treating cancer. Recently, scientists have discovered better, safer therapies that are entirely holistic. At ITC, we treat our patients using an array of natural alternative treatments that boost the immune system, rather than destroy it.
Dr. Bautista meets with patients and creates a bespoke treatment plan. During treatment, this may be adjusted daily to ensure best results and that your body is responding positively to the given therapy plan.
Do you want a natural way to stave off cancer? If so, we’re your solution. Call us today and we’ll be happy to set up a consultation and walk you through our innovative program.
- American Cancer Society. Key Statistics for Vulvar Cancer. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/vulvar-cancer/about/key-statistics.html
- Medical News Today. Vulvar Cancer: Types, Symptoms, and More. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/173108.php
- Medline Plus. Vulvar Cancer. https://medlineplus.gov/vulvarcancer.html
Therapies we use
At Immunity Therapy Center, our goal is to provide objective, updated, and research-based information on all health-related topics. This article is based on scientific research and/or other scientific articles. All information has been fact-checked and reviewed by Dr. Carlos Bautista, a Board Certified Medical Doctor at Immunity Therapy Center. All information published on the site must undergo an extensive review process to ensure accuracy. This article contains trusted sources with all references hyperlinked for the reader's visibility.
Customized Care For the Body And The Mind
Discuss Your Custom Alternative Treatment Plan With Our Team Today
Hear from Our Patients
Wesley White of Fort Worth, Texas was diagnosed with an aggressive form of acute myeloid leukemia (AML) with FLT3 mutations. After undergoing many traditional treatments and rounds of chemotherapy, none were successful in fighting off his AML — and he was left with little to no options from doctors. His wife, April, had heard of a […]
Jack was diagnosed with Stage 4 prostate cancer and, as a result, was living his life in tremendous amounts of pain. It was Jack’s third time getting diagnosed with prostate cancer. Jack’s conventional doctor had put him through chemotherapy and other treatments but had begun to give up, telling Jack that his days were numbered. […]
Maria Petulla was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer. Maria’s life was affected by the cancer; she became partially disabled and was living her life in a tremendous amount of pain. The cancer was taking over her life. After waking up one day and feeling the pain spread to her face, Maria knew that she […]
Robert Gray from Ontario, Canada has been battling stage 4 neuroendocrine carcinoid cancer. He came to ITC looking for a solution to shrink and eliminate his tumors. He found a kind and caring team of doctors at ITC that could focus on his case. Dr. Bautista brought knowledge and understanding to his case and helped […]
Peter Richardson was having significantly increasing pain in his stomach earlier in February. Following doctors orders for treating constipation, Peter took laxatives and pain killers for 5 months, but nothing was helping. When he went back to the doctor a second time they did a CT scan and found a large mass in his abdomen […]
In 2015, Pamela was diagnosed with Stage 2 Breast Cancer that escalated into Stage Four Breast Cancer. Along with her cancer, she also was dealing with infection and swelling on her chest and arm. After hearing about the success of integrative medicine over a conventional method, she knew that she wanted to start her journey […]
“The Immunity Therapy Center Saved My Life and I Hope they Can Help You Too” On March 14th Debbie was diagnosed with a rare type of Ampullary and Liver Cancer. Her doctors told her that her diagnosis was essentially a death sentence. After some extensive research, Debbie discovered ITC online and decided it was worth […]
“The nurses… prayed with us during hard times.” Marie started experiencing pain in her stomach. When she visited her doctor in Belize, he prescribed medicine and said she should feel better in two weeks. Instead, she felt worse. She went to Mexico for more tests and was diagnosed with stomach cancer. Through research and asking friends […]
Adrianne Mohnhaupt dealt with an Ovarian Cancer scare back in 2015 where her doctors found a 37 centimeter tumor, the size of a football. She immediately had it surgically removed and thankfully it was benign. Every six months she continued her CA-125 and they were coming back normal…until two and a half months ago. “I […]
Rick Lee Scott
“I’ve never been treated so well in a medical facility in my life.” When Rick was first diagnosed with bladder cancer, it filled 75% of his bladder. He was given no hope from other doctors, except to have his entire bladder surgically removed. When he arrived at Immunity Therapy Center, he was very ill and […]