Vulvar cancer is an uncommon type of cancer strain that occurs only in women. There are a few forms of vulvar cancer, many of which exhibit symptoms in the early stages.
Where is Vulvar Cancer located?
The vulva is the opening of the vagina and is composed of four primary parts:
- Vaginal opening
- Labia major (outer lips)
- Labia minor (inner lips)
Vulvar cancer cells typically impact the labia minor but will begin in the tissue of the clitoris on rare occasions.
How Does it Impact your Body?
The abnormal cells associated with vulvar cancer will negatively impact the vagina and since cancer spreads, the cells will naturally move upwards towards other regions In later stages, it can spread into the body’s tissue and harm both nearby and distant organs. For example, this occurrence could lend itself to damaged lymph or cervical cancer.
Are There Different Types of Vulvar Cancer?
Vulvar cancer is an uncommon type of cancer amongst others, but there are four primary strains.
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma – The vast majority of vulvar cancers begins in the squamous skin cells. There are several squamous cell subtypes, all requiring therapy, including:
- Verrucous carcinoma
- Adenocarcinoma – Approximately 8% of all vulvar cancers begin in the cells of the Bartholin glands. It often looks identical to a cyst.
- Melanoma – Approximately 6% of all vulvar cancers will start in these pigment-producing cells.
- Sarcoma – Less than 2% of all vulvar cancers begin here.
Vaginal Cancer Statistics
Per the American Cancer Society, vulvar cancer is only responsible for .7% of all cancers that women develop. A woman in the U.S. has a 1/333 chance of developing it, which accounts for 6,000 cases per year.
Causes and Risk Factors
The cause for vulvar cancer is not known. However, based on clinical trials, we do know certain factors can increase the risk of it developing. They include:
- Age – Most common in women over the age of 70.
- HPV – Human papillomavirus has been shown to have links to vulvar cancer.
- Smoking – Increases risk of developing any cancer, including vulvar.
- HIV – The damage to the immune system increases the likelihood of abnormal cells settling into normal tissue.
Early Detection, Diagnosis, and Staging
Signs and Symptoms of Vaginal Cancer
Unlike many other types of cancer, vulvar cancer will often manifest in noticeable symptoms from the outset. These include:
- Abnormal bleeding
- Abnormal discharge
- Bump or lump on the vulva that looks like a wart
- Different hued part of the vulva
- Open sore
- Thickening of the vulvar skin
The Different Stages of Vaginal Cancer
Practically every cancer is graded on a scale of 0 to 4. The stages for vulvar cancer are:
- Stage 0 – Carcinoma in situ, a small potentially malignant or benign tumor forms. A biopsy will be able to distinguish whether the lump contains cancer cells.
- Stage I – A tumor that is less than 2cm is in the vulva or perineum. It hasn’t spread to lymph nodes or distant regions outside of the vaginal region.
- Stage II – A tumor of any size that grows into the anus or lower third of the urethra. It has yet to spread to the lymph nodes or normal tissue within other parts of the body.
- Stage III – A tumor is in the vulva or perineum (or both). It may grow into the anus, lower vagina, or lower urethra. It has spread to one or two local lymph nodes, but hasn’t reached other parts of the body.
- Stage IV – A tumor is in the vulva or perineum (or both). It may grow into the anus, lower vagina, or lower urethra. It has spread to local lymph nodes and created an ulcer. It may have spread to distant regions as well.
Alternative / Natural Vulvar Cancer Treatment
In the past, cancer was ineffectively treated using drugs and forms of surgical procedure that destroy the immune system. To this day, radiation therapy and chemotherapy serve as the standard treatment methods for treating cancer. Recently, scientists have discovered better, safer therapies that are entirely holistic. At ITC, we treat our patients using an array of natural alternative treatments that boost the immune system, rather than destroy it.
Dr. Bautista meets with patients and creates a bespoke treatment plan. During treatment, this may be adjusted daily to ensure best results and that your body is responding positively to the given therapy plan.
Do you want a natural way to stave off cancer? If so, we’re your solution. Call us today and we’ll be happy to set up a consultation and walk you through our innovative program.
- American Cancer Society. Key Statistics for Vulvar Cancer. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/vulvar-cancer/about/key-statistics.html
- Medical News Today. Vulvar Cancer: Types, Symptoms, and More. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/173108.php
- Medline Plus. Vulvar Cancer. https://medlineplus.gov/vulvarcancer.html
Therapies we use
At Immunity Therapy Center, our goal is to provide objective, updated, and research-based information on all health-related topics. This article is based on scientific research and/or other scientific articles. All information has been fact-checked and reviewed by Dr. Carlos Bautista, a Board Certified Medical Doctor at Immunity Therapy Center. All information published on the site must undergo an extensive review process to ensure accuracy. This article contains trusted sources with all references hyperlinked for the reader's visibility.
Customized Care For the Body And The Mind
Discuss Your Custom Alternative Treatment Plan With Our Team Today
Hear from Our Patients
Peter Richardson was having significantly increasing pain in his stomach earlier in February. Following doctors orders for treating constipation, Peter took laxatives and pain killers for 5 months, but nothing was helping. When he went back to the doctor a second time they did a CT scan and found a large mass in his abdomen […]
Robert Gray from Ontario, Canada has been battling stage 4 neuroendocrine carcinoid cancer. He came to ITC looking for a solution to shrink and eliminate his tumors. He found a kind and caring team of doctors at ITC that could focus on his case. Dr. Bautista brought knowledge and understanding to his case and helped […]
In 2015, Pamela was diagnosed with Stage 2 Breast Cancer that escalated into Stage Four Breast Cancer. Along with her cancer, she also was dealing with infection and swelling on her chest and arm. After hearing about the success of integrative medicine over a conventional method, she knew that she wanted to start her journey […]
Alexandria, a United States resident, was diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma in March. The disease came very suddenly. After living a very active lifestyle, she could no longer walk and took a turn for the worst. She knew that she had to receive quality care fast if she was going to recover. When she met […]
“The nurses… prayed with us during hard times.” Marie started experiencing pain in her stomach. When she visited her doctor in Belize, he prescribed medicine and said she should feel better in two weeks. Instead, she felt worse. She went to Mexico for more tests and was diagnosed with stomach cancer. Through research and asking friends […]
“ITC offers so many different therapies and none of them are painful at all. During my time at ITC my quality of life was not taken away from me [unlike with Chemotherapy] and my lymphoma shrank drastically” In 2016, Fouad Youssef discovered he had a lymphoma the size of his thumb knuckle under his arm. […]
Johnny Russell Jr
“I am amazed at Dr. Bautista’s knowledge, we know the term doctor really means teacher.” Johnny had never been to Tijuana, Mexico prior to his visit at the Immunity Therapy Center, he is now in love with the city and the culture. After 3 weeks of treatment, Johnny was able to leave cancer free of […]
Johnny Russell, Jr. | Follow Up
This is Johnny’s 3rd follow up. He has been cancer free since June 2017 after being at ITC for two and a half weeks starting in May of 2017 with Myeloma Cancer. He decided to stay the full 6 weeks to get the full treatment and benefits of the therapies. Since then he maintains a […]
9 years ago Clara Kornelsen came to ITC for treatment after being diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Although she was living in Canada at the time and healthcare was free, she felt it was the right thing to come to ITC for treatment. Today, Clara is “strong and healthy as ever” and thanks Dr. Bautista for […]
“The approach they take here is to help the body, to strengthen the immune system, and to stimulate it, so that the body itself fights the disease” In 2018, Joseph Turkington’s health started to deteriorate. A usually healthy person, he began to have pains in his stomach area, pains so bad that he eventually decided […]