Vaginal cancer is a relatively rare type of cancer that’s unique to women, given their anatomy. There are several strains of this women’s cancer, but most won’t manifest symptoms in initial stages, which makes early detection of cancer cells within the organ tissue quite difficult. Given the nature of these abnormal cells and the fact that cancer spreads quickly, if not caught early on there is a risk of the primary tumor affecting nearby organs, such as the fallopian tubes, cervix, uterus, and lymph nodes.
Where is Vaginal Cancer located?
The Vagina connects the cervix to the vulva. Vaginal cancer will typically occur in one of the different types of cells and tissue along the vaginal wall. Because the vagina is connected to several other parts of the female reproductive system, it is possible that the abnormal cells could spread to nearby regions and lead to vulvar and cervical cancer, for example.
How Does it Impact Your Body?
Vaginal cancer originates in cells of the region. As they mutate, they cause harm to the Vagina itself. From there, the cancer cells spread to nearby organs such as the uterus and rectum, eventually causing them to shut down.
Are There Different Types of Vaginal Cancer?
Although it’s a rare disease, there are several types of vaginal cancer, including:
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma – Accounts for more than 90% of all vaginal cancers. Squamous cell carcinoma begins in the squamous cells that compose the epithelial lining of the vagina.
- Adenocarcinoma – Approximately 9% of all vaginal cancer begins in the gland cells that secrete mucus and other fluids.
- Sarcoma – Less than 1% of all vaginal cancers will form deep in the wall of the vagina.
- Melanoma – Less than .3% of all vaginal cancers will occur in the pigment-producing cells.
Vaginal Cancer Statistics
According to the American Cancer Society, vaginal cancer is very rare. Approximately 1 out of every 1,100 women will develop vaginal cancer, which results in 5,300 cases per year.
Causes and Risk Factors
The underlying reason for vaginal cancer is unknown. Based on clinical trials, we do know that there are factors that increase risk. These are:
- Age – Regardless of type, it almost never occurs in women younger than 40 and typically happens to women older than 70.
- Diethylstilboestrol – A hormone drug used from 1940-1970 to prevent miscarriage that significantly increased chances of developing vaginal cancer.
- HPV – Human papilloma virus has been linked to both vaginal and cervix cancer.
- Smoking – Doubles the likelihood of a woman developing the disease.
- Alcohol – Although there’s no conclusive evidence, studies indicate there is a correlation between heavy alcohol use and vaginal cancers, whether they be in the form of squamous cell, adenocarcinoma, or sarcoma.
Early Detection, Diagnosis, and Staging
Signs and Symptoms of Vaginal Cancer
Signs and symptoms of this gynecologic cancer manifest infrequently in the early stages. That said, signs you should be on the lookout for are:
- Unusual vaginal bleeding after sex
- Unusual vaginal discharge
- Lump or mass in the vagina
- Pain during sex
The Different Stages of Vaginal Cancer
Most every strain of cancer is graded on a scale of 0 to 4. The stages for vaginal gynecologic cancer are:
- Stage 0 – Carcinoma in situ, a small potentially malignant or benign tumor forms. This lump can be detected by having your gynecologist or oncologist perform a pelvic exam and pap smear.
- Stage I – Cancerous primary tumor forms and is less than 2cm. It has yet to spread to lymph nodes or distant regions of the body.
- Stage II – Tumor is less than 2cm and has penetrated the vaginal wall, but not the pelvic wall. It hasn’t reached the lymph nodes or other parts of the body.
- Stage III – A tumor of any size that has grown into the pelvic wall, and/or the lower third of the vagina. It has spread to nearby lymph nodes in the groin or pelvis but hasn’t moved to distant regions.
- Stage IV – Tumor has grown into the bladder or rectum, or outside of the pelvis. It may or may not have spread to lymph nodes but has reached distant organs.
Alternative / Natural Vaginal Cancer Treatment
At Immunity Therapy Center, we’ve sought to find a better, more natural and effective way to fight cancer. We do this by providing clients with dozens of unique alternative treatments that are meant to boost your immune system and give your body the strength it needs to fight cancer on its own. Unlike the standard treatment methods, such as radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and surgery, our alternative therapies are non-invasive and highly effective.
This begins with a consultation with Dr. Bautista. He’ll perform a rigorous exam, which will help inform future therapies for your specific type of cancer. From there, he’ll create a custom treatment plan that is unique to your situation. On a daily basis you’ll meet with an assigned doctor to see how effective the current plan is and whether it needs adjustment. This ensures optimal results.
Are you looking for a holistic treatment plan to fight cancer? If so, give us a call and we’ll immediately set up a consultation. You don’t need to fight alone. We’ll do it together.
- American Cancer Society. Key Statistics for Vaginal Cancer. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/vaginal-cancer/about/key-statistics.html
- WebMD. What is Vaginal Cancer? https://www.webmd.com/cancer/what-is-vaginal-cancer
- Medline Plus. Vaginal Cancer. https://medlineplus.gov/vaginalcancer.html
Therapies we use
At Immunity Therapy Center, our goal is to provide objective, updated, and research-based information on all health-related topics. This article is based on scientific research and/or other scientific articles. All information has been fact-checked and reviewed by Dr. Carlos Bautista, a Board Certified Medical Doctor at Immunity Therapy Center. All information published on the site must undergo an extensive review process to ensure accuracy. This article contains trusted sources with all references hyperlinked for the reader's visibility.
Customized Care For the Body And The Mind
Discuss Your Custom Alternative Treatment Plan With Our Team Today
Hear from Our Patients
Jack was diagnosed with Stage 4 prostate cancer and, as a result, was living his life in tremendous amounts of pain. It was Jack’s third time getting diagnosed with prostate cancer. Jack’s conventional doctor had put him through chemotherapy and other treatments but had begun to give up, telling Jack that his days were numbered. […]
Maria Petulla was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer. Maria’s life was affected by the cancer; she became partially disabled and was living her life in a tremendous amount of pain. The cancer was taking over her life. After waking up one day and feeling the pain spread to her face, Maria knew that she […]
Robert Gray from Ontario, Canada has been battling stage 4 neuroendocrine carcinoid cancer. He came to ITC looking for a solution to shrink and eliminate his tumors. He found a kind and caring team of doctors at ITC that could focus on his case. Dr. Bautista brought knowledge and understanding to his case and helped […]
Alexandria, a United States resident, was diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma in March. The disease came very suddenly. After living a very active lifestyle, she could no longer walk and took a turn for the worst. She knew that she had to receive quality care fast if she was going to recover. When she met […]
In 2015, Pamela was diagnosed with Stage 2 Breast Cancer that escalated into Stage Four Breast Cancer. Along with her cancer, she also was dealing with infection and swelling on her chest and arm. After hearing about the success of integrative medicine over a conventional method, she knew that she wanted to start her journey […]
In 2019, Alberto was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer along with Pelvic Bone Metastasis. After attempting to treat his cancer from the mountains of Mexico, a family member came across Immunity Therapy Center and Alberto and his family decided it would be the best route forward. He began his journey at Immunity Therapy Center in late […]
“The approach they take here is to help the body, to strengthen the immune system, and to stimulate it, so that the body itself fights the disease” In 2018, Joseph Turkington’s health started to deteriorate. A usually healthy person, he began to have pains in his stomach area, pains so bad that he eventually decided […]
“ITC offers so many different therapies and none of them are painful at all. During my time at ITC my quality of life was not taken away from me [unlike with Chemotherapy] and my lymphoma shrank drastically” In 2016, Fouad Youssef discovered he had a lymphoma the size of his thumb knuckle under his arm. […]
When Xiao was diagnosed with stage 4 Lymphoma her pain was so bad she classified it at a level 10 every single day. After just a few days at Immunity Therapy Center her pain dropped to a 5, and after a full week she didn’t even need to take her pain medicine anymore. Xiao encourages […]
Prior to being diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma, Melissa Porter lead a very healthy lifestyle. While traveling in Costa Rica she found a lump in her right underarm that was found to be Cancerous. When Melissa returned home she researched a variety of alternative treatment options and after being told about Immunity Therapy Center by her […]