About Urethral Cancer
Urethral cancer is most commonly a secondary type of cancer, often the result of bladder cancer spreading into the urethra. It’s one of the rarest strains of cancer and is difficult to catch since some people manifest symptoms while others won’t until later stages. Unfortunately, in some cases, people will not experience any symptoms until after the cancer spreads to other organs.
Where is Urethral Cancer located?
The urethra is different in men and women. For men, it’s an 8-inch long tube that passes from the prostate gland, through the penis and out. In women, it’s a 1.5-inch tube that is directly above the vagina. Depending upon the type of Urethral cancer, cancerous cells can form in the opening, or in the cells and tissue lining the tube.
How Does it Impact your Body?
In early stages, Urethral cancer can immediately impact urinary function and the ability to have sex. If cancer cells spread to nearby organs like the bladder and prostate, they can cause damage to those as well; eventually causing them to fail.
Are There Different Types of Urethral Cancer?
There are three primary types of urethral cancer. They are:
- Squamous cell carcinoma – The most common type of urethral cancer. For women, squamous forms in the thin cells in the area closest to the bladder. For men, it forms in the lining of the urethra.
- Transitional cell carcinoma – For men, it forms near the prostate gland. For women, it forms near the opening of the ureter.
- Adenocarcinoma forms – For both men and women, the cancer cells form in the glands surrounding the urethra.
Urethral Cancer Statistics
According to the Urology Care Foundation, urethral cancer is the rarest of all urological cancer, and approximately 1% of all cancer patients will have it.
Based on years of research and clinical trials, urethral tumors are more common in men than women, and typically occur in people above the age of 65.
Causes and Risk Factors
The exact reasons why urethral cancer forms remain unknown. We do know that there are risk factors that can increase the chances of it developing, including:
- A history of bladder cancer
- Chronic inflammation, stricture or swelling in both the male urethra and female urethra
- Sexually transmitted diseases such as HPV
- Regular urinary tract infections
Early Detection, Diagnosis, and Staging
Signs and Symptoms of Urethral Cancer
Signs and symptoms of urethral cancer will rarely be seen in the early stages. That said, signs you should be aware of are:
- Trouble urinating
- Stop-and-go urination
- Weak urinary flow
- Frequent need to urinate, particularly at night
- Discharge from the urethra
- Blood in urine or from the urethra
- Lump in the penis or perineum
- Painless swelling in groin or pelvis
The Different Stages of Urethral Cancer
Like most every strain of cancer, this type of cancer is graded on a staging scale of 0-4.
These stages are:
- Stage 0 – Carcinoma in situ (small, potentially malignant tumor forms).
- Stage I – Tumor forms in the subepithelial connective tissue. It may or may not metastasize in a small lymph node that is less than 2cm.
- Stage II – Tumor pushes through to the corpus spongiosum, prostate, or periurethral muscle. It may metastasize in a lymph node that’s larger than 2cm but smaller than 5 cm. The disease hasn’t spread to distant regions of the body.
- Stage III – Tumor grows through the corpus cavernosum, prostatic capsule, anterior vagina or bladder neck. It has spread to multiple lymph nodes, but hasn’t gone to other organs, as demonstrated in a CT scan.
- Stage IV – Tumor enters nearby organs. It has spread to multiple lymph nodes and moved to other regions of the body.
Alternative / Natural Urethral Cancer Treatment
Today, there are new and cutting-edge alternative treatments for urethral cancer, whether characterized as squamous cell carcinoma, transitional cell carcinoma, or adenocarcinoma. At Immunity Therapy Center, we specialize in providing patients with holistic treatments to combat this disease, without relying on forms of chemotherapy, radiation, or invasive surgery. These therapies work by boosting the patient’s immune system so it can fight cancer on its own without the aid of destructive drugs.
At ITC, each of our patients are provided with a unique plan that is customized to best treat their specific condition. Every day, a doctor will meet with patients and see whether or not the plan requires modification, or if additional therapies need to be added. This tailor-made approach ensures the most optimal results.
If you’re looking for a way to fight cancer naturally, ITC is the place for you. We encourage you to give us a call so we can schedule your consultation posthaste!
- Urology Care Foundation. Urethral Cancer. https://www.urologyhealth.org/urologic-conditions/urethral-cancer
- National Cancer Institute. Urethral Cancer Treatment. https://www.cancer.gov/types/urethral/patient/urethral-treatment-pdq
- Cancer.org. What is Bladder Cancer? https://www.cancer.org/cancer/bladder-cancer/about/what-is-bladder-cancer.html
Therapies we use
At Immunity Therapy Center, our goal is to provide objective, updated, and research-based information on all health-related topics. This article is based on scientific research and/or other scientific articles. All information has been fact-checked and reviewed by Dr. Carlos Bautista, a Board Certified Medical Doctor at Immunity Therapy Center. All information published on the site must undergo an extensive review process to ensure accuracy. This article contains trusted sources with all references hyperlinked for the reader's visibility.
Customized Care For the Body And The Mind
Discuss Your Custom Alternative Treatment Plan With Our Team Today
Hear from Our Patients
See why the Immunity Therapy Center is a trusted name for medical tourism and cancer treatment centers in Mexico.
Karla Leonard, from Riverside, CA, battled Stage IV metastatic breast cancer with unwavering determination. Despite her initial disbelief at her deteriorating health, she found hope in ITC. Choosing ITC for treatment in May 2013, Karla harbored high hopes. She pressed on despite her son’s reservations. From day one, ITC impressed her with excellent service and […]
Hailing from Calgary, Canada, Sadie Litosky’s life took a turn when she was diagnosed with Stage 4 Hodgkin’s Lymphoma at just 19 years old. In a few short months, this first-year university student went from having a minor neck lump to facing breathing difficulties and chest pains. Sadie’s mother tirelessly researched treatment options worldwide and […]
Facing Stage III Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, Gabrielle Friscia and her family sought comprehensive treatment within their country’s borders. Unfortunately, their search came up short. By chance, it was Gabrielle’s father who discovered the ITC just days after her diagnosis. Initially skeptical about pursuing treatment in Mexico, like any patient, they embarked on this medical journey. The […]
Troy Clark was diagnosed with Stage 3 Prostate Cancer back in 2018. After watching his father go through chemo and radiation therapy on three different occasions, Troy wanted to explore other options. Through a referral of a friend, he found Immunity Therapy Center. “Everyone at ITC treats me with the utmost respect. What I get […]
“The Immunity Therapy Center Saved My Life and I Hope they Can Help You Too” On March 14th Debbie was diagnosed with a rare type of Ampullary and Liver Cancer. Her doctors told her that her diagnosis was essentially a death sentence. After some extensive research, Debbie discovered ITC online and decided it was worth […]
Martin Ocegueda is a resident of Temecula, California. In 2022, he arrived at ITC and was diagnosed with Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer. After being told by prior doctors that he only had 3 months to live, Ocegueda knew he needed to seek alternative treatment. His mother referred him to ITC, as his sister received treatment […]
9 years ago Clara Kornelsen came to ITC for treatment after being diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Although she was living in Canada at the time and healthcare was free, she felt it was the right thing to come to ITC for treatment. Today, Clara is “strong and healthy as ever” and thanks Dr. Bautista for […]
Arthur Rivas, a California resident and Master of Science and Nursing, was diagnosed with Stage 3A Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Arthur, who has spent most of his life caring for others through the field of nursing, never thought he would be the one requiring extensive medical attention. With so much knowledge in the medical field, […]
Peter Richardson was having significantly increasing pain in his stomach earlier in February. Following doctors orders for treating constipation, Peter took laxatives and pain killers for 5 months, but nothing was helping. When he went back to the doctor a second time they did a CT scan and found a large mass in his abdomen […]
Prior to being diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma, Melissa Porter lead a very healthy lifestyle. While traveling in Costa Rica she found a lump in her right underarm that was found to be Cancerous. When Melissa returned home she researched a variety of alternative treatment options and after being told about Immunity Therapy Center by her […]