About Urethral Cancer
Urethral cancer is most commonly a secondary type of cancer, often the result of bladder cancer spreading into the urethra. It’s one of the rarest strains of cancer and is difficult to catch since some people manifest symptoms while others won’t until later stages. Unfortunately, in some cases, people will not experience any symptoms until after the cancer spreads to other organs.
Where is Urethral Cancer located?
The urethra is different in men and women. For men, it’s an 8-inch long tube that passes from the prostate gland, through the penis and out. In women, it’s a 1.5-inch tube that is directly above the vagina. Depending upon the type of Urethral cancer, cancerous cells can form in the opening, or in the cells and tissue lining the tube.
How Does it Impact your Body?
In early stages, Urethral cancer can immediately impact urinary function and the ability to have sex. If cancer cells spread to nearby organs like the bladder and prostate, they can cause damage to those as well; eventually causing them to fail.
Are There Different Types of Urethral Cancer?
There are three primary types of urethral cancer. They are:
- Squamous cell carcinoma – The most common type of urethral cancer. For women, squamous forms in the thin cells in the area closest to the bladder. For men, it forms in the lining of the urethra.
- Transitional cell carcinoma – For men, it forms near the prostate gland. For women, it forms near the opening of the ureter.
- Adenocarcinoma forms – For both men and women, the cancer cells form in the glands surrounding the urethra.
Urethral Cancer Statistics
According to the Urology Care Foundation, urethral cancer is the rarest of all urological cancer, and approximately 1% of all cancer patients will have it.
Based on years of research and clinical trials, urethral tumors are more common in men than women, and typically occur in people above the age of 65.
Causes and Risk Factors
The exact reasons why urethral cancer forms remain unknown. We do know that there are risk factors that can increase the chances of it developing, including:
- A history of bladder cancer
- Chronic inflammation, stricture or swelling in both the male urethra and female urethra
- Sexually transmitted diseases such as HPV
- Regular urinary tract infections
Early Detection, Diagnosis, and Staging
Signs and Symptoms of Urethral Cancer
Signs and symptoms of urethral cancer will rarely be seen in the early stages. That said, signs you should be aware of are:
- Trouble urinating
- Stop-and-go urination
- Weak urinary flow
- Frequent need to urinate, particularly at night
- Discharge from the urethra
- Blood in urine or from the urethra
- Lump in the penis or perineum
- Painless swelling in groin or pelvis
The Different Stages of Urethral Cancer
Like most every strain of cancer, this type of cancer is graded on a staging scale of 0-4.
These stages are:
- Stage 0 – Carcinoma in situ (small, potentially malignant tumor forms).
- Stage I – Tumor forms in the subepithelial connective tissue. It may or may not metastasize in a small lymph node that is less than 2cm.
- Stage II – Tumor pushes through to the corpus spongiosum, prostate, or periurethral muscle. It may metastasize in a lymph node that’s larger than 2cm but smaller than 5 cm. The disease hasn’t spread to distant regions of the body.
- Stage III – Tumor grows through the corpus cavernosum, prostatic capsule, anterior vagina or bladder neck. It has spread to multiple lymph nodes, but hasn’t gone to other organs, as demonstrated in a CT scan.
- Stage IV – Tumor enters nearby organs. It has spread to multiple lymph nodes and moved to other regions of the body.
Alternative / Natural Urethral Cancer Treatment
Today, there are new and cutting-edge alternative treatments for urethral cancer, whether characterized as squamous cell carcinoma, transitional cell carcinoma, or adenocarcinoma. At Immunity Therapy Center, we specialize in providing patients with holistic treatments to combat this disease, without relying on forms of chemotherapy, radiation, or invasive surgery. These therapies work by boosting the patient’s immune system so it can fight cancer on its own without the aid of destructive drugs.
At ITC, each of our patients are provided with a unique plan that is customized to best treat their specific condition. Every day, a doctor will meet with patients and see whether or not the plan requires modification, or if additional therapies need to be added. This tailor-made approach ensures the most optimal results.
If you’re looking for a way to fight cancer naturally, ITC is the place for you. We encourage you to give us a call so we can schedule your consultation posthaste!
- Urology Care Foundation. Urethral Cancer. https://www.urologyhealth.org/urologic-conditions/urethral-cancer
- National Cancer Institute. Urethral Cancer Treatment. https://www.cancer.gov/types/urethral/patient/urethral-treatment-pdq
- Cancer.org. What is Bladder Cancer? https://www.cancer.org/cancer/bladder-cancer/about/what-is-bladder-cancer.html
Therapies we use
At Immunity Therapy Center, our goal is to provide objective, updated, and research-based information on all health-related topics. This article is based on scientific research and/or other scientific articles. All information has been fact-checked and reviewed by Dr. Carlos Bautista, a Board Certified Medical Doctor at Immunity Therapy Center. All information published on the site must undergo an extensive review process to ensure accuracy. This article contains trusted sources with all references hyperlinked for the reader's visibility.
Customized Care For the Body And The Mind
Discuss Your Custom Alternative Treatment Plan With Our Team Today
Hear from Our Patients
Jack was diagnosed with Stage 4 prostate cancer and, as a result, was living his life in tremendous amounts of pain. It was Jack’s third time getting diagnosed with prostate cancer. Jack’s conventional doctor had put him through chemotherapy and other treatments but had begun to give up, telling Jack that his days were numbered. […]
Maria Petulla was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer. Maria’s life was affected by the cancer; she became partially disabled and was living her life in a tremendous amount of pain. The cancer was taking over her life. After waking up one day and feeling the pain spread to her face, Maria knew that she […]
Robert Gray from Ontario, Canada has been battling stage 4 neuroendocrine carcinoid cancer. He came to ITC looking for a solution to shrink and eliminate his tumors. He found a kind and caring team of doctors at ITC that could focus on his case. Dr. Bautista brought knowledge and understanding to his case and helped […]
Alexandria, a United States resident, was diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma in March. The disease came very suddenly. After living a very active lifestyle, she could no longer walk and took a turn for the worst. She knew that she had to receive quality care fast if she was going to recover. When she met […]
In 2015, Pamela was diagnosed with Stage 2 Breast Cancer that escalated into Stage Four Breast Cancer. Along with her cancer, she also was dealing with infection and swelling on her chest and arm. After hearing about the success of integrative medicine over a conventional method, she knew that she wanted to start her journey […]
In 2019, Alberto was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer along with Pelvic Bone Metastasis. After attempting to treat his cancer from the mountains of Mexico, a family member came across Immunity Therapy Center and Alberto and his family decided it would be the best route forward. He began his journey at Immunity Therapy Center in late […]
“The approach they take here is to help the body, to strengthen the immune system, and to stimulate it, so that the body itself fights the disease” In 2018, Joseph Turkington’s health started to deteriorate. A usually healthy person, he began to have pains in his stomach area, pains so bad that he eventually decided […]
“ITC offers so many different therapies and none of them are painful at all. During my time at ITC my quality of life was not taken away from me [unlike with Chemotherapy] and my lymphoma shrank drastically” In 2016, Fouad Youssef discovered he had a lymphoma the size of his thumb knuckle under his arm. […]
When Xiao was diagnosed with stage 4 Lymphoma her pain was so bad she classified it at a level 10 every single day. After just a few days at Immunity Therapy Center her pain dropped to a 5, and after a full week she didn’t even need to take her pain medicine anymore. Xiao encourages […]
Prior to being diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma, Melissa Porter lead a very healthy lifestyle. While traveling in Costa Rica she found a lump in her right underarm that was found to be Cancerous. When Melissa returned home she researched a variety of alternative treatment options and after being told about Immunity Therapy Center by her […]