Asbout Thymus Cancer
Thymus cancers are exceptionally uncommon. In fact, it’s one of the rarest cancers today, which can make them quite difficult to detect until the cancer spreads in later stages, thus contributing to lower survival rates. The symptoms of thymoma can be so subtle that by the time diagnosis takes place, cancer treatment and therapy may be less effective.
Where is Thymus Cancer located?
The thymus is a small organ that sits directly behind the sternum in the chest’s frontal region (and in front of the heart). It’s composed of three parts, and cancer cells can form in any of the regions, as demonstrated in clinical trials.
- Medulla – Inside part of thymus.
- Cortex – Layer that surrounds the medulla.
- Capsule – Thin layer that covers the thymus.
How Do the Cancer Cells Impact your Body?
Since the thymus plays a crucial role in regulating the body’s immune system and staving off infection and disease for long-term survival, thymus cancer negatively impacts a person’s ability to stay healthy. As it worsens, the cells can spread to local regions, wreaking havoc in those organs.
Are There Different Types of Thymus Cancer?
There are a few strains of thymus cancer, including:
- Thymoma and thymic tumors – Account for more than 95% of all thymus gland cancer cases. They form as tumors that come from thymic epithelial cells.
- Hodgkin’s Disease and Non-Hodgkin’s – Cancer forms in the lymphocytes—immune system cells, necessary for long-term survival against diseases, bacteria, and infection.
Thymus Cancer Statistics
According to the American Cancer Society, thymic tumors are the most common tumor that occur in the frontal region of the chest cavity but are still extraordinarily rare. Only 1.5 cases are diagnosed for every million people in the U.S. per year. That ends up being approximately 400 cases per year.
Causes and Risk Factors
The exact reason why thymic cancers occur is not known. We do however know that there are two risk factors that increase the likelihood of developing the disease. They are:
- Age – It most commonly occurs in adults over the age of 70.
- Ethnicity – It happens more frequently in Asians, Pacific Islanders, and black people.
Early Detection, Diagnosis, and Staging
Signs and Symptoms of Thymus Cancer
Signs and symptoms of thymoma are uncommon in the early stages. Despite, some signs that may manifest include:
- Bloody cough
- Chest pain
- Loss of appetite
- Shortness of breath
- Trouble swallowing
- Weight loss
The Different Stages of Thymus Cancer
The vast majority of cancer strains are graded on a scale of 0 to 4. The stages for thymus cancer go as follows:
- Stage 0 – Carcinoma in situ, a small potentially malignant or benign tumor forms.
- Stage I – Tumor grows into the nearby fatty tissues of the thymus. It has neither reached local lymph nodes, nor spread to other regions of the body. At this stage, the cancer is minimally invasive.
- Stage II – Tumor grows through the nearby fatty tissue and into pericardium. It hasn’t spread to lymph nodes or other parts of the body.
- Stage III – Tumor grows into nearby tissues or organs, including the lungs, the blood vessels, or the phrenic nerve. It hasn’t spread to lymph nodes or other regions of the body.
- Stage IV – Tumor has grown into local tissue and organs. It has spread to multiple lymph nodes and moved to other regions of the body.
Alternative / Natural Treatment for Thymoma
At ITC, we believe that there is a better, more effective, and safer way to treat cancer. Rather than resorting to standard treatment and therapy methods, we provide our patients with a host of innovative alternative treatments that focus on boosting your immune system’s natural ability to fight various forms of carcinoma, rather than destroying it.
When you stay with us, you consult with Dr. Bautista who performs a rigorous analysis of your unique case, condition, and staging. From there, he creates a custom thymoma treatment plan that can be adjusted daily to ensure the best results. As you progress, therapies will be added or removed when deemed necessary.
So, if you’re searching for a holistic battle plan, we’ve helped hundreds of other patients successfully fight their cancer, by implementing the most minimally invasive treatments possible. We can help you too. Give us a call, and we’ll set up your consultation today!
- American Cancer Society. Key Statistics about Thymus Cancer. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/thymus-cancer/about/key-statistics.html
- National Cancer Institute. Thymoma and Thymic Carcinoma Treatment. https://www.cancer.gov/types/thymoma/patient/thymoma-treatment-pdq
- MedlinePlus. Thymus Cancer. https://medlineplus.gov/thymuscancer.html
Therapies we use
Customized Care For the Body And The Mind
Discuss Your Custom Alternative Treatment Plan With Our Team Today
Hear from Our Patients
Peter Richardson was having significantly increasing pain in his stomach earlier in February. Following doctors orders for treating constipation, Peter took laxatives and pain killers for 5 months, but nothing was helping. When he went back to the doctor a second time they did a CT scan and found a large mass in his abdomen […]
In 2015, Pamela was diagnosed with Stage 2 Breast Cancer that escalated into Stage Four Breast Cancer. Along with her cancer, she also was dealing with infection and swelling on her chest and arm. After hearing about the success of integrative medicine over a conventional method, she knew that she wanted to start her journey […]
Joshua Gibbs of Detroit, Michigan was diagnosed with Stage 4 Small Bowel Cancer in January 2020 at the age of 28. He was very sick and in a wheelchair when he arrived at Immunity Therapy Center, but was encouraged by how quickly “Dr Bautista jumped in to help” once he arrived. With the support of […]
Alexandria, a United States resident, was diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma in March. The disease came very suddenly. After living a very active lifestyle, she could no longer walk and took a turn for the worst. She knew that she had to receive quality care fast if she was going to recover. When she met […]
“The nurses… prayed with us during hard times.” Marie started experiencing pain in her stomach. When she visited her doctor in Belize, he prescribed medicine and said she should feel better in two weeks. Instead, she felt worse. She went to Mexico for more tests and was diagnosed with stomach cancer. Through research and asking friends […]
“ITC offers so many different therapies and none of them are painful at all. During my time at ITC my quality of life was not taken away from me [unlike with Chemotherapy] and my lymphoma shrank drastically” In 2016, Fouad Youssef discovered he had a lymphoma the size of his thumb knuckle under his arm. […]
Johnny Russell Jr
“I am amazed at Dr. Bautista’s knowledge, we know the term doctor really means teacher.” Johnny had never been to Tijuana, Mexico prior to his visit at the Immunity Therapy Center, he is now in love with the city and the culture. After 3 weeks of treatment, Johnny was able to leave cancer free of […]
Johnny Russell, Jr. | Follow Up
This is Johnny’s 3rd follow up. He has been cancer free since June 2017 after being at ITC for two and a half weeks starting in May of 2017 with Myeloma Cancer. He decided to stay the full 6 weeks to get the full treatment and benefits of the therapies. Since then he maintains a […]
9 years ago Clara Kornelsen came to ITC for treatment after being diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Although she was living in Canada at the time and healthcare was free, she felt it was the right thing to come to ITC for treatment. Today, Clara is “strong and healthy as ever” and thanks Dr. Bautista for […]
“The approach they take here is to help the body, to strengthen the immune system, and to stimulate it, so that the body itself fights the disease” In 2018, Joseph Turkington’s health started to deteriorate. A usually healthy person, he began to have pains in his stomach area, pains so bad that he eventually decided […]