Hemorrhoids and colorectal cancer are entirely different medical conditions, yet it’s sometimes hard to tell the difference between them. The symptoms are almost similar, so they require professional check-ups to determine between hemorrhoids and cancer.
Hemorrhoids are more common than colorectal cancer and are the most likely cause of rectal pain or bleeding. However, it’s nearly impossible to self-diagnose based on observable symptoms alone, hence the need to talk with a doctor.
This post discusses the difference between hemorrhoids and cancer, their symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment. It also looks at the use of alternative cancer therapies, specifically Gerson therapy in Mexico.
What are Hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoid is an enlarged blood vessel or swollen vein that bulges in and around the anus or the rectum. They can form internally or externally due to added pressure from:
- Straining during bowel movements
- Heavy lifting
- Chronic constipation or diarrhea
- Extended periods of standing
External hemorrhoids and internal hemorrhoids affect one in 20 Americans and about half of adults over 50 years.
What is Colorectal Cancer?
Colorectal cancer jointly refers to cancer that forms in the colon or rectum. Most cancers start as polyps (growths) in the inner wall linings of the colon or rectum. While not all polyps are cancerous, they can become invasive when left unchecked and spread into lymph nodes and the blood vessels before traveling throughout the body.
How common is colon cancer? Colorectal cancer affects men and women and is common in adults over age 50. However, colorectal cancer rates among young adults between ages 30 and 50 increase by nearly 2.5% annually.
Symptoms of Hemorrhoids and Colorectal Cancer
Symptoms of hemorrhoids include:
- Blood in the stool
- Painful itching or burning sensation near the anus
- Irritation in your anal area
- Pain that gets worse during or after passing stool
- Bleeding from the rectum
- Uncomfortable bowel motions
This cancer type has overlapping symptoms, including:
- Blood in the stool
- Tarry bowel movements
- Bleeding from the rectum
- Fatigue or weakness
- Stomach pain or pressure
- Unintended weight loss
- A feeling of needing to use the bathroom even after having a bowel movement
- Prolonged and unexplained change in bowel habits
- Constipation and diarrhea
Unfortunately, colorectal cancer does not cause symptoms in its early stages. Is colon cancer treatable? Yes it is. Hence, the need for regular colon cancer screening because it’s highly treatable with early diagnosis. There are alternative treatments for rectal cancer and colon cancer as well.
How to Differentiate between Hemorrhoids and Cancer?
Although hemorrhoids and colorectal cancer share some symptoms like minor rectal bleeding, lumps at the anal opening, and itching, internal hemorrhoid or external hemorrhoid don’t cause cancer. However, the overlapping conditions cause some to assume their symptoms are hemorrhoids instead of seeing a doctor.
Hemorrhoids result in swollen veins inside the anus or rectum that can become irritated and itch, hurt, or bleed. On the other hand, cancer develops due to the abnormal growth of cells. Anal cancer causes lumps in the anus or rectum while colon cancer lumps are not observable by the naked eye because they occur in the colon.
Your symptoms could indicate hemorrhoids if:
- You have the risk factors for hemorrhoids such as constipation, pregnancy, a history of hemorrhoids, or a history of straining during bowel movements
- Your symptoms get better using home treatments such as taking sitz baths, applying hemorrhoid creams, or eating more fiber
- You feel swollen lumps near your anus
- You see swollen veins with a mirror
- Your symptoms come and go but don’t get progressively worse or cause other symptoms like weight loss
Factors that increase your risk of cancer include:
- Being over 50 years old
- Having a family history of cancer
It’s critical to consult your doctor about the change in your health because it’s easier to treat cancer when you catch it early.
Treatments for Hemorrhoids and Cancer
The first treatment step is diagnosis to ensure you treat the correct condition. Therefore, your doctor will do a rectal exam and take your medical history. If the exam shows an unusual growth, they will recommend a colonoscopy and a biopsy test for cancer.
Hemorrhoid treatment options include:
- A sitz bath to relieve pain and itching plus over-the-counter (OTC) products like hazel or creams to shrink inflamed tissues
- Serious and persistent cases require additional medical options, such as banding to cut off the swollen vessel’s blood flow and shrink it
- Hemorrhoidectomy is a surgical option that removes the painful blood vessel
Colorectal cancer treatments include:
- Radiation is the use of high-energy particles or X-rays to destroy cancer cells
- Surgery ranging from removing the polyps to part of the colon
- Ablation or embolization to remove tumors that spread to other body areas
- Chemotherapy is given orally or intravenously to reach and kill cancer cells throughout the body, including those that surgery or radiation missed
- Immunotherapy is the medication that improves the immune system to help it recognize and destroy cancer cells
Prevention for most colorectal-related issues includes minimally-invasive solutions. These include eating a healthy and balanced diet, exercising regularly, and having annual medical checkups and screenings.
Alternative Cancer Therapies: Gerson Therapy in Mexico
Gerson therapy is a proven, diet therapy that helps people suffering from chronic conditions. Dr. Max Gerson discovered the therapy in the 1920s as a treatment for an incurable type of tuberculosis.
The main goal of Gerson therapy is boosting the body’s immunological defenses to the levels of a healthy body. It also rebalances the molecules and atoms inside body cells to restore them to the levels of healthy cells. The aim is to return a sick body to full health, and it has achieved remarkable triumphs over the years for patients with poor results with traditional therapies. However, these triumphs are anecdotal.
Gerson therapy is not a proven cancer treatment and should never replace legitimate therapies such as chemotherapy or surgery. Instead, it should supplement other traditional and alternative cancer therapies to improve the immune system under the supervision of a medical professional.
Some aspects of Gerson therapy like eating fruits and vegetables are beneficial to cancer treatment while others like coffee enemas could potentially be ineffectual or even toxic. Removing toxins from the body is a function of the liver and kidneys, so using antioxidant supplements could be counterproductive without medical supervision.
Gerson Therapy in Mexico
Gerson therapy in Mexico uses specialized equipment combined with a daily supply of fresh fruits, vegetables, and vitamins. Mexico has the most specialized and prominent clinics offering alternative cancer treatments such as Gerson therapy.
How Does Gerson Therapy Work?
It follows the following principles:
- It encourages eating organic foods to prevent pesticide and herbicide hazards
- It prohibits taking protein or animal fat for the first two months
- It prohibits milk and soya to prevent the body’s absorption of lipids and proteins that nourish cancer cells
- It prohibits ingestion of pulses because their high phytic concentration might inhibit mineral absorption
- It requires the filtering or distilling of cooking and rinsing water
- It prohibits the consumption of water to avoid diluting the potency of the juices. Instead, it allows a little amount of peppermint tea
- It prohibits using plastic and tin foil least they contaminate food
- It restricts diet to freshly prepared fruit and vegetable juices ingested within 20 minutes to avoid enzyme degradation
- It encourages the consumption of raw fruits and vegetables and mildly cooked vegetables, stewed fruit, oats, and potatoes
The Gerson therapy diet aims to avoid the consumption of sodium while maintaining healthy amounts of potassium. The body readily and easily absorbs nutrients from fresh juices without stressing the processes. Additionally, taking hourly juices prevents insulin and calorie spikes and limits the overall daily calorie consumption.
Why Consider Gerson Therapy in Mexico?
Gerson therapy is a natural and remarkable therapy that helps your immune system address a host of illnesses and conditions, such as cancer, generative disorders, and heart disease. Despite these advantages, many conventional and alternative cancer therapies have no assurance of success against cancer.
Still, it’s a suitable alternative therapy to consider in your cancer treatment because it emphasizes healthy eating and living. The Immunity Therapy Center in Mexico is one of the leading cancer alternative therapy institutes offering Gerson therapy.
Alternative and Natural Rectal Cancer Treatment
Rectal cancer treatments include surgery to remove cancerous tissues, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy drugs. Additionally, your oncologists may use an adjuvant to reduce the chances of recurrence. Although these treatments are effective, they come with some negative outcomes and side effects that weaken your immune system.
Alternative and natural treatments, such as Gerson therapy in Mexico, are gentler treatment methods that do not sacrifice effectiveness. Alternative rectal cancer treatment provides various options that avoid invasive surgical resection procedures and chemotherapy drugs to help you fight the disease.
Immunity Therapy Center offers custom treatment plans for patients to leverage different customized combinations of therapies. We base each treatment program on various factors including the initial diagnosis, previous cancer treatments, current condition, the current state of your mental health, and medical history.
Our goal is to support natural healing processes while building positive relationships with all our patients. Contact us today for your alternative rectal cancer treatment.
Written By: Dr. Pablo Orozco
Dr. Pablo Orozco is a Board Certified Medical Doctor from Universidad Autónoma de Baja California.
Dr. Orozco has been a treating physician at the Immunity Therapy Center for more than 3 years providing daily on site patient care. He works with patients on a daily basis and guides them through the treatment process. Dr. Orozco’s passion for Alternative Cancer Treatments along with his commitment to patient care is key to insure that our patients have the best experience and results possible.
At Immunity Therapy Center, our goal is to provide objective, updated, and research-based information on all health-related topics. This article is based on scientific research and/or other scientific articles. All information has been fact-checked and reviewed by Dr. Carlos Bautista, a Board Certified Medical Doctor at Immunity Therapy Center. All information published on the site must undergo an extensive review process to ensure accuracy. This article contains trusted sources with all references hyperlinked for the reader's visibility.